Parish Council Business – The Role of the Council
The Parish Council is an elected body of 15 members from the local area. The council covers the area of Martock, Hurst, Bower Hinton, Coat, Stapleton and part of Highway). It has several roles including a duty to comment on planning applications. It owns and operates the large recreation ground, The Pavilion, The Parish Hall and The Market House. It performs other unique services which can be found under ‘Community Services’.
The role of the Parish Council is to:
- represent the interests and views of everyone living within the parish;
- it is a part of local government supporting the democratic process;
- its function is to raise issues of public concern with other authorities, such as the County and District Councils and the police;
- provide and maintain public areas and facilities, including:
- the Stoke Road Recreation Ground and Pavilion
- the Parish Hall
- the Market House
- the Bower Hinton allotments;
- the Churchyard;
- make planning recommendations;
- support community projects to improve the overall quality of life in our parish.